Discover how to make stunning house and building portraits with our beginner-friendly online course. Six full demos with narrated instructions included.Read more.
Hello, I'm Darren Yeo, a watercolour artist and teacher based in Melbourne, Australia. I am the founder of one of the largest watercolour learning communities, "Watercolour Mentor". My work features predominantly natural landscapes, urban streetscapes, and portraiture in watercolor medium. Watercolours are special to me because there is a sense of finality once an area has dried – you can’t erase or go over that area to ‘fix’ it. You need to accept and work with what is there. To lea
Only want this course? Buy this course for
$199 $29 and keep lifetime access.
About This Course
Who this course is for:
- This online course is perfect for students learning loose watercolor painting, line and wash, sketching and drawing, and painting buildings in pen and watercolor.
What you’ll learn:
- How to create stunning portraits of buildings and houses.
- Discover how to draw and paint any building from a reference photo or plein air, as well as how to use pen and watercolor to imply light, shade, and mood.
- You’ll also learn about holding your pen for different effects, drawing basic lines and shapes, and creating depth and light/darkness in your drawing.
- Other topics covered include color selection, using complementary colors for increased vibrancy, understanding light sources, and painting realistic shadows.
- You’ll also gain essential watercolor techniques, such as wet-in-wet and wet-on-dry, and learn how to paint skies, buildings, land, figures, trees and shrubs, and other objects.
- No prerequisites are required for this course. All you need are a few simple materials, such as a black ink pen, watercolor or sketch paper, watercolor paints, and brushes.
- Additional materials, including scans, reference photos, and tracing templates, are provided in the ‘Materials Required’ section.
Hi, I’m Darren from Watercolor Mentor, and in this course, House and Building Portraits: Line and Wash Essentials, I’ll guide you through creating beautiful line and wash illustrations of various homes and buildings using pen and watercolor.
Line and wash is a great way to learn the basics of drawing and painting, combining the benefits of both mediums. Buildings and homes evoke emotions and personal memories, making them perfect subjects for portraits.
This class is designed for beginners, with 6 step-by-step demonstrations and included scans, drawing, and tracing templates to make transferring your drawing easy. I also offer real-time drawing and narration videos for each scene.
I take a unique approach by explaining every technique I use in the context of the painting, including using watercolor to paint shadows. I’ll cover the basics of pen and wash sketching, recommended materials, and essential techniques to help you create portraits of any building. If you have a pen, watercolor paints, and paper, you’re ready to get started!
Additional materials, including original painting scans, drawing/tracing templates, and reference photographs, are included under the ‘Materials Required’ lecture.
I’ll teach you how to sketch with a pen quickly and accurately using a variety of techniques. You’ll learn how to create lines in segments, use hatching to add texture, and take advantage of different-sized nibs. In addition, I’ll demonstrate essential watercolor techniques that you can use repeatedly in any painting.
In this course, you will learn the following basics:
- How to draw simple to complex buildings with a pen and use watercolor to imply light, shade, and mood with various colors.
- Materials – what paints, paper, brushes, and pens you will need.
- Hands-on pen sketching techniques – follow along and sketch with me. Learn how to hold your pen for different effects, draw basic lines and shapes, and how to create depth and light/darkness in your drawing through the use of ‘hatching’.
- Understanding light sources and how to paint realistic shadows.
- How to sketch a subject easily by simplifying a landscape into basic shapes, and using a combination of loose and accurate drawing styles.
- Hands-on lessons on essential watercolor techniques such as wet-in-wet and wet-on-dry.
- How to paint skies, buildings, land, figures, trees and shrubs, and other objects.
Join me in this class and learn how to create beautiful drawings and paintings that you can be proud of!
For the course project, your task is to sketch 2 or more of the featured landscapes in pen, using the techniques learned from the demonstration videos and the drawing and tracing templates provided. This exercise is crucial for improving your painting skills, as it allows you to plan and compose your painting. After completing your sketch, follow the watercolor steps and processes provided to finish your painting.
If you have already completed the 6 landscapes featured in this class, feel free to choose a royalty-free photograph or one of your own landscape photographs as inspiration. Using the techniques and processes described in the course, create your own unique painting.
If you have any questions or would like feedback on your work, don’t hesitate to let me know, and I’ll be happy to assist you.
Our Promise to You
By the end of this course, you will have learned to create beautiful building portraits with our beginner-friendly course. Six demos included.
10 Day Money Back Guarantee. If you are unsatisfied for any reason, simply contact us and we’ll give you a full refund. No questions asked.
Get started today!
|Section 1 - Introduction|
|Section 2 - Exercises|
|Line And Wash Warm-Up Sketch||00:00:00|
|Pen Drawing Techniques And Tips||00:00:00|
|Section 3 - Paint Along Lessons|
|Baraboo Shops, Wisconsin – Drawing Part 1||00:00:00|
|Baraboo Shops, Wisconsin – Drawing Part 2||00:00:00|
|Baraboo Shops, Wisconsin – First Wash||00:00:00|
|Baraboo Shops, Wisconsin – Details And Shadows||00:00:00|
|Curcao Shops – Drawing Part 1||00:00:00|
|Curcao Shops – Drawing Part 2||00:00:00|
|Curcao Shops – Painting||00:00:00|
|New England House – Drawing||00:00:00|
|New England House – First Wash||00:00:00|
|New England House – Details And Shadows||00:00:00|
|Rural House – Drawing||00:00:00|
|Rural House – First Wash||00:00:00|
|Rural House – Details And Shadows||00:00:00|
|Victorian House – Drawing||00:00:00|
|Victorian House – First Wash||00:00:00|
|Victorian House – Details And Shadows||00:00:00|
|Washington DC Townhouses – Drawing||00:00:00|
|Washington DC Townhouses – First Wash||00:00:00|
|Washington DC Townhouses – Details And Shadows||00:00:00|