About This Course
Who this course is for:
- Anyone interested in pursuing a record deal should watch this class!
- Anyone who has always wondered how much musicians really make from a record deal should watch this class.
- Anyone who has just wondered how record labels work will enjoy this class.
What you’ll learn:
- The ins-and-outs of traditional record labels and independent record labels
- What advantages and disadvantages exist for “going it alone” without a record label
- A typical recording contract, so students know what to expect, and how to negotiate
- Working with Producers
- Roles of a Record Label
- Work For Hire
- Score of a Record Deal
- 360 Deals
- Release Commitments
- Producer Contracts
- There are no course prerequisites. Students should be ready to discuss the intricacies of a record contract, but no familiarity with contracts or contract law is required.
Welcome to the “Musician’s Guide” Series!
This series is pulled directly from the courses I’ve created for my university position in Music Business. All of these courses are designed for the everyday musician – amateur or professional – who has little or no knowledge on the topic, but wants to master it.
This class is all about Record Labels and Record Deals.
It is ideal for anyone who is interested in seeking out a record deal or is already considering one.
- Musicians: If you are making music, and considering a record deal, please watch this class!
- Producers: Before you sign on the dotted line, watch this class to be sure you understand everything you are signing up for.
- Bands: Maybe you are considering avoiding record labels, and starting your own independent label. This class is for you, too!
- Curious Minds: Anyone interested in how record labels work is invited to be a part of this class.
We will start with traditional record label deals, and progress forward to talking about more modern deals. We will talk a lot about the “need” for a record deal in the modern age, and how you can get by without one at all. I’ll walk you through every issue in the contract so you fully understand what is being asked.
The goal of this class is for you to understand what is in-between the lines of the contract.
If you are ready to start making money from your music, and making sure you are protected, this class will start you on that journey. Get started today.
Our Promise to You
By the end of this course, you will have learned how to safely pursue a record deal.
30 Day Money Back Guarantee. If you are unsatisfied for any reason, simply contact us and we’ll give you a full refund. No questions asked.
Get started today and learn more about recording labels and deals.
|Section 1 - Introduction And Overview|
|What We Are Covering Here||00:00:00|
|Tools You Will Need For This Class||00:00:00|
|Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer||00:00:00|
|Section 2 - Definitions|
|Section 3 - How A Recording Company Works (Traditionally)|
|The 5 Roles Of A Traditional Record Company||00:00:00|
|What We Can Do Ourselves||00:00:00|
|Do Artists Still Need A Record Label?||00:00:00|
|Section 4 - Parties And Scope|
|Work For Hire||00:00:00|
|Scope Of The Contract||00:00:00|
|The 360 Deal||00:00:00|
|Section 5 - Term|
|What Is A Term?||00:00:00|
|Making 10 Albums Doesn’t Mean Releasing 10 Albums||00:00:00|
|Section 6 - Release Commitment|
|The Fiona Apple Situation||00:00:00|
|Listen: Unreleased Version||00:00:00|
|So What Happened?||00:00:00|
|Listen: Released Version||00:00:00|
|How Did It Get Solved?||00:00:00|
|The Release Commitment||00:00:00|
|Section 7 - Advances|
|The Million Dollar Record Deal||00:00:00|
|Section 8 - Royalties|
|What Kind Of Royalties?||00:00:00|
|“All In” Contracts||00:00:00|
|Deductions: Licensed Re-Sellers||00:00:00|
|Deductions: Container Charges||00:00:00|
|Deductions: Bargain Bins||00:00:00|
|Deductions: New Configurations||00:00:00|
|Deductions: Foreign Territories||00:00:00|
|Deductions: Sales Incentives||00:00:00|
|Deductions: Promotional Copies||00:00:00|
|Section 9 - Math Time|
|Calculation For Royalties Of A Physical CD||00:00:00|
|Calculation For Royalties Of A Digital Sale||00:00:00|
|Section 10 - Merchandise|
|Section 11 - Videos|
|Works For Hire||00:00:00|
|Section 12 - 360 Deals|
|Taylor Swift Example||00:00:00|
|Section 13 - Producer Agreements|
|Example: George Martin||00:00:00|
|When George Martin Met The Beatles||00:00:00|
|“Development Deals” With A Producer||00:00:00|
|Section 14 - Wrap Up|
|What Comes Next?||00:00:00|
|Thanks For Watching!||00:00:00|