About This Courseintermediate
For years I’ve been teaching Ableton Live and Max in the college classroom. As a University Professor, my classes are sought after, and, frankly, expensive. I believe Ableton Live can be learned by anyone, and cost shouldn’t be a barrier. This class uses the same outline and syllabus I’ve used in my college classes for years, at a fraction of the cost.
This is Part 7: MaxForLive
MaxForLive is a powerful tool that lets users design their own instruments, effects, and devices. It isn’t without its drawbacks: MaxForLive is notoriously difficult to learn. I’ve developed an approach for teaching MaxForLive that focuses on teaching it like a language: You will learn small blocks and patches, understanding the how and the why along the way. As we grow our vocabulary, we “learn how to learn” more and more.
- The unique and quirky history and development of Max
- What we can do with MaxForLive
- Max vs. MaxForLive
- The MaxForLive Devices
- Finding and Sharing MaxForLive Devices
- Getting Help: Help Windows in MaxForLive
- Presentation Mode & Patching Modes
- The Max Editor
- Bangs & Buttons
- Project 1: Building a MIDI Delay
- Project 2: Building an Arpeggiator
- Working with Audio Signals
- Project 3: An Audio Delay
- ~ Objects (tilde objects)
- Presentation Setup
- Controlling Live
- Controlling anything in Live
- Project 4: A Beat-Quantized Randomized Filter
- Finding the Beat from Live
- Project 5: Artificial Intelligence (sort of)
- … And much more!!!
Also included in this class is 6 of my own MaxForLive patches for you to download, dissect, use, and build on.
J. Anthony Allen is an Ableton Certified Trainer and a Ph.D. in Music Composition and master of Electronic Sounds. His music has been heard internationally in film, radio, video games, and industrial sound, as well as the concert hall and theater.
He currently acts as an adjunct professor of composition at the University of St. Thomas, Macphail Academy of Music, and the CEO of Slam Academy in Minneapolis.
Praise for other classes by J. Anthony Allen:
“I’ve had Live Lite for a while but never quite understood how to use it because of the different options in how to arrange audio. This course explains exactly how to do that and get the most out of Live.”
“Great overview – I would start here for sure if you are just getting your feet wet with live. clear and to the point. Session walkthroughs are great. Looking forward to more”
“I have never had any formal training in music at all. Trying to learn all the notes and how everything translated was a serious challenge. After going through this class, Dr. J has totally brought down the barriers. The content was very useful and was easy to grasp for me.”
What are the requirements?
- Knowledge of Ableton Live is required to understand this course.
- Taking Ultimate Ableton Live: Part 1 – The Interface & The Basics is a great place to start, but not required to get the most out of this course.
- Taking Ultimate Ableton Live: Part 2 – Recording & Warping is also great, but not required to get the most out of this course.
- Taking Ultimate Ableton Live: Part 3 – Producing & Editing is also great, but not required to get the most out of this course.
- Taking Ultimate Ableton Live: Part 4 – Synths & Samplers is also great, but not required to get the most out of this course.
- Taking Ultimate Ableton Live: Part 5 – Audio & MIDI Effects is also great, but not required to get the most out of this course.
- Taking Ultimate Ableton Live: Part 6 – DJ Techniques & Controllers is also great, but not required to get the most out of this course.
- Access to Ableton Live will be required. Using the trial version (free for 30 days) would be a great way to start.
What am I going to get from this course?
- Use MaxForLive to create custom devices in Ableton Live
- Speak the syntax of MaxForLive, and know how to find answers
- Design unique MaxForLive patches for sale, sharing, and using in your own music
Who is the target audience?
- Students who want a comprehensive understanding of Ableton Live
- Students looking to understand the deeper levels of Ableton Live
- Anyone looking to explore the possibilities of MaxForLive
Our Promise to You
By the end of this course, you will have learned how to use the features of MaxForLive.
30 Day Money Back Guarantee. If you are unsatisfied for any reason, simply contact us and we’ll give you a full refund. No questions asked.
Get started today and learn more about MaxForLive.
Section 1 - Welcome And Overview
Section 2 - What Is MaxForLive
MaxForLive In A Nutshell
The 10K Ft View
What We Can Do In MaxForLive
Patch Download: Artificial Intelligence Experiment
MaxForLive Versus Max Versus Max / MSP / Jitter
A Brief History Of Max
Section 3 - Getting Started
The MaxForLive Devices (In Ableton)
Loading MaxForLive Devices
Finding And Sharing MaxForLive Devices
Starting From Scratch
Getting Help: The Help Windows
Section 4 - Creating Our Own Devices
Modes: Presentation, Patching (Editing), Locked, And Unlocked
The Max Editor And Patching
Objects And Arguments
Bangs And Buttons
Learning How To Learn Max
Section 5 - Our First Project: A MIDI Delay
Workflow: Approaching A New Project
Our First Object: Pipe
Adding The Dry (Not Delayed) Signal
Why Not Notein
Section 6 - Project 2: Arpeggiator
Walkthrough: What We Will Need For This Project
Deploying And Encapsulating
Section 7 - Working With Audio In Max
The Tilde (~) Objects And Yellow Patch Chords
Audio UI Objects
Section 8 - Project 3: An Audio Delay
Tapin~ And Tapout~
Section 9 - Talking To (And Controlling) Live
The “M4L List Of Abstractions”
Controlling Any Parameter
Section 10 - Project 4: A Beat-Quantized Randomized Filter
New UI Object: Filtergraph~
Controlling Filters By Using The Beat
Section 11 - Wrap Up
Thanks For Watching (And 1 More Project!)
Bonus Lecture: MaxForLive Connection Kit