Learn how to paint a loose and river landscape in watercolor! Start to unleash your creativity today!Read more.
Hello, I'm Darren Yeo, a watercolour artist and teacher based in Melbourne, Australia. I am the founder of one of the largest watercolour learning communities, "Watercolour Mentor". My work features predominantly natural landscapes, urban streetscapes, and portraiture in watercolor medium. Watercolours are special to me because there is a sense of finality once an area has dried – you can’t erase or go over that area to ‘fix’ it. You need to accept and work with what is there. To lea
Only want this course? Buy this course for
$199 $29 and keep lifetime access.
About This Course
Who this course is for:
- Beginners interested in learning watercolor painting
- Intermediate watercolor painters aiming to adopt a loose, impressionistic style
What you’ll learn:
- How to create beautiful paintings of any natural landscape in watercolour
- How to sketch and plan your natural landscape painting in pencil before you start painting
- How and when to use wet-in-wet watercolour techniques to paint clouds, skies, grass, water
- How to paint basic trees and rocks with minimal effort and brushstrokes
- How to add people into your landscape in a natural and simple way
- How to layer effectively to add extra details
- How to combine layers to create depth naturally
- How to paint simple shadows and identify or choose a light source in your painting
- No prerequisites. This course is suitable for beginners and intermediate watercolour painters.
Hello and welcome. In this course, we’ll be painting an atmospheric river landscape using a variety of wet-in-wet techniques and wet-in-dry techniques. Creating a soft and hazy look with a sense of depth can be tricky when you’re learning watercolours. Painting wet-in-wet is often associated with a loss of control. Without the right knowledge, you can create a mess!
But don’t worry. I’m going to show you the importance of timing when painting wet-in-wet. I’ll show you how to gain control and layer effectively to create soft and atmospheric scenes. It’s easier than you think! Wet-in-wet techniques bring out the natural strengths of watercolour, and are essential for your watercolour journey. Creating fine, sharp details are just as crucial in an atmospheric landscape as it creates contrast and interest. But understanding when to add them is crucial.
Before we start with the painting, I’ll show you how to simplify shapes and sketch in large shapes such as sky, trees, grass, and land. Getting those large components accurately beforehand is essential for your painting to make sense.
Your course project is to draw and paint your own natural watercolour landscape! This can be a scene featured in this course or based on one of your own photographs or scenes you have observed outside.
You can also refer to the scanned drawing/painting templates attached below, which will allow you to trace the drawing if you choose to do so. I recommend drawing each scene freehand. Drawing is an important step in improving your painting skills. This provides you with an opportunity to compose and plan your painting. Once you’ve finished the drawing, use the watercolor steps and processes included in the course demonstrations to complete your painting.
Use any watercolour paints, pencil watercolour paper, and brushes you have available. I recommend:
- 0.5mm mechanical pencil
- Artist-grade watercolour paints – blue, yellow, and red
- 100% cotton watercolour paper or sketchbook
- Watercolour Brushes – mop brush and a variety of round brushes for detailing.
Review the course demonstration videos first. You can also download the tracing templates to transfer over your drawing if you wish.
Looking to sketch and paint another scene? Research some free reference photo websites, pick one of your own reference photos, or simply find an outdoor location where you can sit and paint. Using the steps and processes included in this course, create your own unique painting.
Our Promise to You
By the end of this course, you will have mastered the art of painting breathtaking watercolor renditions of various natural landscapes.
10 Day Money Back Guarantee. If you are unsatisfied for any reason, simply contact us and we’ll give you a full refund. No questions asked.
Get started today!
|Section 1 - Introduction|
|Section 2 - Demonstration|